Town of Iowa Residents

Residential Garbage Collection Schedule

Mondays Route :  All Streets to the East of N Thompson Ave and S Thomson Ave. 

All streets South of Hwy 90 (except Dick Herbert RD).

This includes S. Thompson Ave. South of Hwy 90.

Tuesdays Route : All Streets to the West of N. Thompson and S. Thompson Ave, as well as N. Thompson Ave and S. Thompson Ave North of Hwy 90,  and Dick Hebert Road.

General Guidelines for Garbage Collection


§  Containers, bags, and bundles should be placed at the street by 5 a.m. on your designated pick up day.


§  All garbage including excess solid waste should be bagged, boxed, or containerized to reduce loose trash from blowing when the container is serviced.  


§  Leave a two foot space between carts and obstructions like mailboxes, parked cars, utility poles, etc.


§  Containers, bags, and bundles shall be placed as close to the roadway as practicable without interfering with or endangering the movement of vehicles or pedestrians.  When construction work is being performed in the right-of-way, containers, bags and bundles shall be placed as close as practicable to an access point for the waste collection vehicle.


§  Yard waste should be bundled tied together and not exceed 6 feet in length nor be greater than (50) pounds in weight.  Grass, leaves, flowers, stalks, stems, and tree trimmings shall be in a container, bag, or box the weight of which shall not exceed (50) pounds. Tree trunks shall not exceed (50) pounds for any one piece or (4) feet in length.


§  White Goods and Bulky Waste such as furniture, inoperative and discarded refrigerators, freezers, and other similar large domestic appliances, including televisions may be picked up.

Please call our office at 337-433-5158 to schedule pick up of Bulk Waste.


   Construction or other materials such as sheetrock, roofing material, lumber, fencing, concrete, Brick, rocks, stone, or dirt will not be collected with garbage.  It shall be the responsibility of the resident/property owner to make appropriate arrangements and to pay for disposal of residential construction/demolition debris.



No tires

No Propane Tanks

No Compressed Cylinders

No Electronics

No Batteries

No Cement or Bricks


Improper disposal of hazardous materials can cause pollution and endanger the health and safety of our Southern Solid Waste employees.  Items such as; hot ashes, flammable or hazardous materials such as asbestos, oil, gas, antifreeze, solvents, brake fluid, transmission fluid, batteries, cleaning solvents, polishes oven cleaner, pool chemicals, paint, paint thinner, paint stripper, spray paint, weed killer, pesticides, or poisons will NOT be collected with garbage.

Carts are the property of Southern Solid Waste and are provided for trash collection service. Carts are assigned to the address, not to the resident.  Each Iowa resident is responsible for routine maintenance such as keeping the carts clean, removing the carts from the street after collection and storing the carts in a safe place just as they would do with their own garbage cans. Repair of damages due to normal wear will be the responsibility of Southern Solid Waste.  Any issues with cart maintenance/damaged carts should be referred to Southern Solid Waste. Residents may be charged for repairs due to neglect or misuse of the cart.


  • Homeowners may purchase an additional cart to be serviced at a price of $65.00 per cart            (Tax not included)


During Holidays Waste Collection may change.  For current Holiday Schedule Changes Visit your Iowa Town Hall for posted changes, our Facebook page Southern Solid Waste, LLC, or other local media outlets.

If you have any questions regarding cart replacement, containers, acceptable items, or general service related questions, call Southern Solid Waste at 337-433-5158.


  • If you move to a different address, you must leave your trash can at the old address, as the carts are assigned to the address and not the resident.
  • If your trash cart is stolen or missing, you will need to get a police report from the Iowa Police Department, turn a copy into city hall and we can have a new cart issued to you.